For many people, there is a preconception that volunteering abroad is only for the wealthy. This couldn’t be further from the truth! Volunteering abroad can provide you with an education that cannot be obtained at home and allows you to immerse yourself in another culture, leading to increased understanding and tolerance of others.
Read more about few reasons why you should volunteer abroad below:
1. You will learn a new language – When living overseas as part of your program, most locals likely speak English, but if not, then chances are they would know how to say certain key phrases or words such as ‘hello’ and ‘thank you. This is a great way to pick up the basics of a new language quickly!
2. You will have increased understanding – Volunteering abroad can help you with your personal development as it helps develop certain skills such as communication, empathy, and flexibility. It also makes for an interesting topic at interview if you ever need a job again!
3. You will meet people from different backgrounds – Who knows where being in another country may lead? You could make friends or even find love with someone who has had completely different life experiences than yourself, which creates more opportunities for understanding others’ points of view about topics that affect everyone on this planet, such as politics, religion, and the environment.
4. Volunteers often receive free meals – Sometimes, hostels and hotels offer free meals, which is a bonus as food abroad can be more expensive than at home.
5. Eating out or going for drinks will cost you less – You may not know this, but eating out, buying groceries, and getting takeout in some countries such as Australia are all much cheaper compared with the U.S., Canada, or the UK!
6. You could learn about conservation – Volunteering overseas is a great way to give something back while gaining valuable knowledge on how certain animals/plants react in their natural habitat.
7. Volunteer abroad work looks great on a CV – The experience from volunteering abroad shows that you have initiative, drive, and determination, which employers look for when hiring staff. It also gives potential employers an insight into how you work in a team.
8. You can gain qualifications – While volunteering abroad, certain organizations will enable you to receive certificates for your volunteer role, which is great if you plan on studying later down the line or want something additional on your CV!
9. Volunteering provides incredible life experiences- A lot of people would love to help others but don’t know where or what projects they could get involved with while living at home.
10. Volunteering overseas allows them to explore parts of the world that they may never have seen before and made friends along the way. You might even find out about opportunities within some project that could lead towards employment back at home.
11. It gives you time to relax – If all this volunteering sounds like too much hard work, then fear not, as some organizations such as Projects Abroad will provide you with time off to enjoy everything that the destination has to offer.